Random Access Memory ( RAM ) and Read only memory ( ROM ) are two memory component use in Computers as well as mobile and other electronic gadgets. However RAM is most commonly use when we look for a phone or a Computer. But what actually it is? We will see difference between RAM and ROM here in details.
|Full Form||Random Access Memory||Read Only Memory|
|Usage||It allows device to read and altered data quickly.||Data Stored in ROM helps to boot the device.|
|Access||Information stored in RAM is easily accessible.||Information stored in ROM firstly need to be transfer in RAM to access.|
|Data Recovery||Data can’t be restore if there is cut in power supply.||Data Stored in ROM can be restore if there is cut in power supply.|
|Read & Write||RAM memory is readable and writable.||ROM memory can’t be writable, it is read only memory.|
|Data Storage||It has temporary data storage.||ROM stores permanent memory that can not be erased.|
|Physical Size||Chip size of RAM is bigger than ROM.||Size of chip is small in compare.|
|Cost||It is a bit Costly.||Cheaper than RAM|
- Random Access Memory known as RAM
- RAM allow CPU or processing unit to read and retrieve data at earliest. Which helps device to run program or application fast and smooth.
- As it is source of temporary memory, data stored in RAM can’t be restored if power supply cut in between the operation working.
- It is easily readable and rewritable by CPU directly. Which helps processing unit to quickly store handy data and provide it when needed.
- Physical chip size of RAM is bigger than the same memory size of ROM.
- Providing best functions makes it little costly in compare to ROM.
- Read Only Memory known as ROM.
- ROM stores the data in it’s memory that help CPU in booting process.
- Data stored in ROM is not easily readable to CPU. The processing unit first need to transfer this data to RAM and then it can be readable.
- Thought it has permanent memory, it doesn’t affect even if there is loss of power in between the operation.
- Memory or data can we write on it once only. As it is a permanent memory, data can’t be erase from ROM.
- Chip size is small in compare.
- Cheaper price wise than RAM.
Dynamic RAM known as DRAM. It must be active functionally and continuous refresh otherwise all data may have lose.
Static RAM stores a bit of data so it is faster. It consume less power but costly in price. Although it need time to time refresh like DRAM.
Synchronous Dynamic RAM has specialty to run at very fast clock speed.
Double Data Rate known as DDR, which can run and work in double synchronous speed.
Programmable Read Only Memory known as PROM can written or programmed by using particular device.
Erasable Programmable ROM can written or programmed as PROM. Also it can be erased by exposing it to UV light.
Electrically Erasable Read Only Memory known as EEPROM. As per it’s name, instructions can be write and erase by a special electrical circuit.
Mask ROM represent data which is stored at the time of manufacturing the memory chip.
- As RAM doesn’t contain any moving part so, it’s working is silent.
- It require less power in compare to hard drives.
- RAM helps in battery usage which increase battery life.
- It is a non-volatile memory which can’t be vanish at power cut.
- ROM is a static component which doesn’t need to be refresh.
- Can not change by mistake.